Monday, June 30, 2008

Write about the baby

I was on the phone with my boss yesterday (who is also a friend and who still believes in the illusion that I am in fact a writer despite the fact that I really haven't written anything since teaching absorbed every spare moment of my life), and he asked if I've written anything about the baby.

Well, I haven't, but it's not because I haven't wanted to.

It's because I'm nervous and excited and scared and busying myself with five million things to get ready for the baby so that I don't have to think about the actual baby, and all of that leaves my very tired and generally 'uncreative'.

I've always been kind of a gestational writer. I tend to mull ideas and lines over and over (and over and over) in my head before I write them down. This is probably one of the reasons poetry suits me well - if I tried to write books, I'd never remember all the lines. But, it's time to actually get thoughts on paper before I forget everything I've been thinking about; so, I'm going to set myself a goal of writing each day this month. I probably won't be as diligent as Amy, but I'm going try. And, we should be home for most of this month, which will help things.

Look for feeble insights to come later, blog stalkers. For now, it's off to grocery store!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I've never read any of your works, I'll be honored to hear them. You can do it!

amypfan said...

You ARE still a writer, even if you haven't done it for a while. You are, in fact, the best writer that I know personally, and I do still hold that you will be famous someday, if you don't let teaching suck out your soul (like I did). Very interested to read musings on P; maybe it will inspire me to write some of my own.

P.S. Do you read Glynis's blog? I had no idea in college that she was such a great writer!

P.P.S. Thanks again for babysitting today. :)

SlyGly said...

Eee! I can't wait to read your frequent blogging, Al!

Krysten said...

I'm super excited. I think you could write books if you chose to, too. You and my sister can beat just about anyone I know in remembering minute details of even the most obscure things. It's so annoying (but I love you both anyways!).

Alrighty, start writing! :)