Sunday, September 14, 2008

Update

Thank you to all for the congrats and good thoughts.

Parker is in our room now and doing fine.  She was released from the NICU around 2:00 pm yesterday.  The final diagnosis was transient tachypnea of the newborn - not pneumonia - it's a wet lung disease that happens in about 1% of babies, most commonly in c-sections (which she was).  

We had a fairly decent first night.  Parker is a champion sleeper, partly because she's still recovering from all of the uncomfortableness of tubes.  Of course we completely flipped out with every noise she made; so at about 5:00 am we finally sent her to the nursery so we could sleep.  We didn't want to do it sooner because we were just thrilled to have her.  

Both Mommy and baby will be discharged tomorrow, and we're glad will get a few days here with her to work out all the feeding issues.  Suellen is trying to nurse and we are making slow progress.  I'll spare you the details.

The wireless at the hospital won't let me post pictures for some reason, but I'll try to get them up soon.  

Thanks to all who have called, texted, visited and sent love.  We appreciate it!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm glad to hear baby Parker is doing well! I'm sure Amy and others can help, but if you have any questions about nursing, I nursed Hannah for a year and I've learned a few tricks and tips along the way. Suellen has my email! Congrats again!

Cathy said...

Because of our NICU time, Chris ended up with nipple confusion, and there were some rough days before we worked out the kinks of nursing too. It'll come. Congrats on getting her in your room, and Homecoming tomorrow.

SlyGly said...

Congrats to you and Suellen! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Krysten said...

We are continuing to struggle through nursing ourselves. Sadie definitely has the latch thing down - so well that sometimes I think I may end up with no skin! It's gotten better though as the days have passed.

Now we are dealing with the fact that we have no power. The power went out about 5:00 pm on Sunday and they are saying it may not be back on until this next Sunday. My parents, Adam, Sadie, and I are now camped out at a hotel. Adam still has to work (all IT's still get the pleasure since generators are running), but since the power is out my parents don't have school. The really stinky part of this for me is that even though I am not enjoying these days as "free" days, I will be the one who has to make them up at the end of the year!

Well, I'm glad to hear that things are going well. How did Max and Finn do when you brought her home? Our kitties have actually been pretty good, but they are all over anyone who visits us and expect to be fully petted and loved BEFORE the baby! :)