Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thirteen observations about the start of school

Yes...we started school this week. So, here it goes...

1. When I drink a lot of coffee, I pee a lot. I wasn't really drinking coffee over the summer because I was reasonably well rested and the coffee isn't good for my heart. Now that I'm back to school, my trusty cup of Joe is constantly by my side. We were only about 3 hours into the first day when Amy asked if I was going to continue peeing every 5 minutes. Yes. I apparently am.

2. It is dark at 5:45 in the morning. I'm sad about returning to the time of year when it is dark when I go to school and dark when I come home. At least there is still sun for the evening commute right now.

3. It has been over a year since we moved into our new $8 million building, and the roof still leaks when it rains. Right over my desk! How's that for symbolism!

4. I need to control my potty mouth. Now, I do teach in a pretty relaxed environment, and I do teach mostly upperclassmen, but I need to reign it in. It's not like 'driving in Chicago traffic swearing' (which if you've ever ridden with me, you understand) but it's creeping there.

5. Teaching multiple sections of the same class is kind of boring. Now, I am finally in a position of luxury this year in that I am actually teaching some of the same classes twice a day (instead of having to make a completely separate plan for EVERY PERIOD). I'm probably sniffing a gift fish here, but I'm already sick of saying the same things.

6. I can actually get a fair amount of work done at work. I'm trying to keep control of my work better so that I don't get swamped this year and so that I spend more time at home with our family. I guess in previous years, I spent more time than I thought goofing off. Granted, I'm also not on 5000 committees for the first time in a long time, but I'm actually being productive. Who would have thunk it?

7. Though I am getting a lot done, I have serious ADD. I can't seem to do something for more than 10 minutes without needing to get up and do something else. I guess its good that I have to pee so often.

8. I heart Amy Pfanschmidt. She may hate all our clapping and crazy scheduling, but I'm glad she's at University, even if she did volunteer to sponsor the prom and quit all in the same faculty meeting.

9. Our building is either freezing cold or smelling like feet. I wish they had built it with windows that could open.

10. Seventy-five new students in a school of two hundred is a large amount. I used to be able to recognize everyone's face pretty much in the first week. That's not going to happen this year.

11. Having your baby shower announced at the opening assembly is odd. I turned red. I'm not sure I've done that very often before.

12. Witty sarcasm will save anything. That's about it for that one.

13. My school community is really really good at taking care of what matters. If you haven't heard, one of our recent graduates passed away last week. It was hard on a lot of us, but the community really came together, and it's good to get back to a sense of normalcy again.

3 comments:

Krysten said...

Our building just opened at the beginning of last year (2007) and it still leaks right above my desk too. Maybe it's a good omen since it's happening to both of us! :)

Cathy said...

It actually sounds like it will be a fun year! I think it's really sweet that they announced your baby shower to the school, though definitely blushing is the way to go, at least you didn't cry, or run out to pee! Maybe you're having sympathy pees for Suellen.

amypfan said...

I heart you too. You're a very good roommate.

And for the record, I do not hate the clapping, although I do violently hate the constant schedule changes.

One of these Thursdays, I'm going to have a post of "13 funny things that I hear Al say at work." That should be a good one. I think it will include such classics as "I wish I could marry Gatsby.... the book, not the man." :)