Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Daycare Dilemmas

So we - or rather I - have been slightly MIA lately due to a number of factors: more small home improvement projects, the fact that I start school on MONDAY (holy crap), a baby shower in Chicago, and what has sucked up most of our time - a daycare search.

If you are out of the loop in our saga, part of the original plan was that if we were really surviving on just my salary (which paper calculations say we can) then Suellen was just going to extend her leave for the entire next year, as opposed to returning in June. Well, last week Suellen found out that IPS is going to transition her in to a new Elementary position in 09-10 (a position she's wanted for two years); so, now she pretty much needs to return in January in order to secure that spot. Thus, we've begun looking for daycares.

Now, what I didn't realize is that to get decent infant care, you pretty much need to look for day care spots before you ever get pregnant. Most places have been laughing in our faces when we say we need care in January. Great. We've got a few leads, but nothing we are completely sold on and nothing that's really garaunteed, but I'm going to list our narrow options with the hopes that all you blog stalkers can lend some advice.

Option 1 - The Goddard School in Brownsburg. We have friends who sent their son to a Goddard (not this one) and loved it. He is literally the smartest 5 year old I've ever met (of course his parents are also two of the smartest people I've ever met). Anyway, we liked it. The kids were engaged; the staff was friendly; the place was bright and cheerful. They weren't optimistic about an opening, but they didn't laugh, so we are on their waitlist. They are probably our first choice, but they aren't cheap (around $900/mo.)

Option 2 - A woman who runs daycare out of her home that three of the teachers at my school use. She has an assistant and there aren't any more than 12 kids in the house at a time. She seemed really nice and on top of things, but it is pretty much a one woman show. She may have an opening (and should know soon), but we don't know how we feel about the in-home idea. She is the cheapest at $600/mo.

Option 3 - A larger, privately owned and operated center that is literally right on my way to work. Things here were a little more chaotic then the Goddard school, but it felt like more of a family atmosphere. The staff was much younger than the other centers we looked at, and the woman running it has less education (just a CDA as opposed to a 4 year degree) than a director at a corporate managed center would have. I know that schooling doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it does give me a bit of pause. There is no oversight (beyond state licensing) than what she provides, and the fact that it's the largest center (twice the size of anything else we've looked at), I'm worried that the management might not always be on top of what is going on. This is the most expensive center ($1024/mo.), but it's biggest draw is that they HAVE a spot for January that I can gaurentee today if I prepay the first month. Tempting.

So there it is. Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

OK my thoughts as a child brought up in my own home with a nanny. Though not an option for you guys, I'd go for Option 2. Your kid will be institutionalized soon enough, so let her get used to being in a relaxed (ish) home environment. It seems to me that there would be more bonding and family like feel in a house than in an actual daycare. Though if you nix Option 2, I'd go for Goddard. Reason: Gordy. Enough said.

Suellen said...

Are you ever going to learn to spell the word guarantee or are you going to keep testing different spellings? LOL I love you.

Cathy said...

I have to say, I don't like the sound of Option #3. I don't like the sound of all the kids running wild, I like the sound of at-home care, option #2. A bunch of your teachers use her, that says to me, trustworthy, and there won't be a problem with taking Baby P home for the summer, this gal knows teacher schedules. Obviously, I know, and trust greatly some folks that have done the home care thing, and if I had to, that would be my plan. I agree with Sarah that there will be plenty of time for "institutions". It takes someone stronger than I to do it for months let alone a career, and it sounds like since she has a set max, and helper, that she really is on top of it. What was your assessment about this one woman, as a person? Her mental health? If those vibes are good, I'd go with that.

Though for a backup plan: MOPS friends were talking about Goddard School here in town, they know some folks a. that teach there, and b. that go there, and were singing their praises, so that would be a trustworthy back up plan too.

Andrea said...

Holy cow I had no idea how expensive daycare was! Now that I am getting over my shock, I have to say that I have heard the Goddard schools are good. Obviously I don't know anything about home daycare or the other place but here's a thought: if you put a deposit at the only place that can get you in for sure, do you get it back if you change your mind? Because if so, put down the deposit and that will give you more time to think but also guarentees you a spot somewhere. Just a thought.

Krysten said...

I have no answer for you at all. We're dealing with the same struggles. I have no idea how we're going to pay for anything and we still have no guaranteed plan of where she's going. Right now I'm just saying many prayers that things will work out and trying not to be too stressed about everything. (It's not working overly well, but I'm trying!)

The one thing I like about home care is that usually they're more flexible in working with you. One thing I know from listening to the teachers at school is that you need to find out about her sick policy - do you pay her still if P is sick? If she's sick do you still have to pay? How many hours in advance do you have to let her know if P won't be there? When/how does she notify you if other kids that she watches are sick? What if P gets sick during the day?

Another thing I've been told to think about is what is covered by your payment. Does the payment cover all diapers? Diapers and wipes? Snacks when she is able to eat them?

I'm sure there are many more things that I'm not thinking about, but those are some ideas that have been bopping through my own mind. :)

SlyGly said...

Wow. $1000/month. That is like a second mortgage. I had no idea.

amypfan said...

Option 4: Share an in-home nanny with us. Clearly I do not have enough money to pay daycare costs x2, so we're looking for someone to come here. Besides, that would complete our quest to spend all of our time together.